Location: Rio Hotel, Las Vegas, NV
Pierre Jasmin & Peter Litwinowicz (RE:Vision Effects)
Gary Oberbrunner (self) [phone]
Dennis Adams (Sony)
Peter Loveday, Vivek Vedagiri, Fu Qian (BlackMagic Design)
Meeting brought to order at Rio Hotel on April 10, 2018 at 3:00 pm, with phone open for members to join.
1. Bank account. Discussion of books deferred since Peter Huisma was not attending. Peter needs to go from Amsterdam to London to resolve some issues with HSBC. We also think a UK member should be added to the account to prevent future issues (there are four UK member companies; the OFX directors will discuss and find one for this). Proposal to approve funds for travel and to add a UK member, seconded. Vote passes unanimously.
2. There are members who have not paid their last billed dues. What should we do about them? Discussed action for Peter to send reminder email requesting some response, even if it is intention to let membership lapse. Proposed, seconded. Vote passes unanimously.
3. Confirmation of organization structure. Directors are Peter Huisma, Pierre Jasmin, Gary Oberbrunner, and Dennis Adams. Proposed that this continues, seconded. Vote passes unanimously.
4. Discussion of expenditures. Last year we agreed to spend some money on improvement of the website, github, and documentation, which occurred. Docs were updated by Alexandre Gauthier, but he hasn't billed us yet. Gary to Ping Tim Kinnel regarding billing. Gary needs to bill for website hosting. We also agreed to spend some money to evolve and improve the API, but this work has not been completed yet.
Closed admin discussion at 3:17 pm.
1. Dennis shared the Unified OpenCL render extension that he created by merging the Sony header and Resolve header. It is reverse-compatible and has been shared with Resolve, Assimilate, and Digital Film Tools (who has made a plug-in that supports both). Next step is for Dennis to use in a Catalyst build and email proposal to member list for standardization. Resolve is encouraged to submit similar proposals for CUDA and Metal.
2. Color space extension: Dennis had a past action item to draft a header for this, but has not yet. That is the next step.
3. GPU on/off: In an InstanceChanged action, a plugin would like a way to disable and enable GPU support that has been already claimed in ActionDescribe. Currently the only way is to return an error from the GPU render action, and the host should retry on CPU. The 1.4 spec got some wording added that said this ability can be turned on and off, but was not clear on exactly how. We need to come up with a method that everyone is good with. It does not need to be able to switch between GPU techniques (e.g., GL, CL, CUDA, Metal) unless that is easy.
4. Being able to show optional clip inputs inside the Parameter list (they are enumerated separately so currently no way to indicate how they should be shown): This is for non-node-based tools (since node-based tools show optional inputs in the node graph, not the parameter list). Proposal is to add a new parameter type called something like kOfxParamTypeOptionalInput that is a placeholder for where to show an optional input clip with the matching name. Some discussion over whether adding new parameter types could break hosts, and agreement that while it is not specifically mentioned in the spec, it should be fine to do.